We’re green through and through. We have embraced environmentally-friendly growing practices from the very beginning.
Our industry-leading practices include the following:
- A state-of-the art irrigation water recycling program
- An comprehensive integrated pest management that is environmentally friendly
- Use of beneficial insects and bio-controls to reduce agrochemical use
- A bee-friendly insect control strategy focused on protecting pollinators – neonicotinoids are NOT used
- Renewable potting substrates
- Energy efficient technologies including an open-aired greenhouse design
- Company-wide recycling programs including poly-house winter coverings
But sustainability is more than a commitment to the environment – it’s a social responsibility to our community and our staff. We are fortunate to have a team of legal, willing, and able employees earning a premium wage – seeking to better themselves and their families – in the same spirit as our founders.
Veriflora® Sustainably Grown
In 2012, we sought out and met the challenge of achieving the rigorous requirements of the Veriflora® Sustainably Grown certification program — recognized as the gold standard of sustainability in the floriculture and horticulture world. This program involves an on-site audit completed annually by SCS Global Services (a group that also conducts Organic certification audits). To this day, we are the only open-aired wholesale nursery in the United States. to carry this distinction.
What does Veriflora® Sustainably Grown certification mean?
Certification is earned by products from growers that meet the highest levels of:
- Social Responsibility– Promoting healthy, equitable workplaces that support farmers, workers, their families, and the community.
- Environmental Responsibility – Protecting and building soil health, conserving water and energy, reducing climate impacts, properly managing wastes, and supporting healthy ecosystems.
- Economic Stability – Reinforcing the long-term economic viability of agricultural operations, and achieving levels of quality performance that benefit customers.